Sunday, February 7, 2010

Paleo Dutch Babies

When I was a kid my mom used to make Dutch Babies for our breakfast when my dad was gone (he didn't like them very much).

The original recipe was extremely simple:

Mix 3 eggs, 1 c flour, 1 c milk. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a cast iton skillet, pour in the batter, and bake at 400 F for about 12-15 minutes.


(I happened to find a picture on my phone of one I made a while ago, original recipe)
This is my tweak:

3 free range eggs
1/2 c coconut flour
1/2 c almond flour
1/2 c coconut milk
1/2 c almond milk

Melted 2 Tbsp (or so, didn't realy measure) of coconut oil in a little round cake pan (don't have a cast iron skillet here at school, sad face). Bake same as above.

Results:

Too grainy. Could possibly be fixed with finer ground flours, but the ones I have are already pretty fine.

Somewhat flavorless. Could be fixed by using grassfed butter instead of coconut oil.

Also maybe one less egg?

Oh well. It looked pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. I'm dutch and I've never heard of Dutch Babies. My upbringing is seriously lacking! ;)

    ReplyDelete