Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ramblings of evidence and self worth

I've never been asked out on a date. Closing in on 28 years old, never even had a guy ask for my phone number. I have to conclude that this means I'm not attractive to the opposite sex. Not alluring. When I was 17 it could be believed that boys were shy or mean or whatever. But I can't make that assumption anymore.

But here's the thing. I get told pretty frequently that I'm pretty. Not everyday, but maybe a few times a week, in a good week. It just happens to only ever be by women. Sometimes friends, sometimes family, sometimes acquaintances, occasionally strangers. Always female. And while I truly believe that most of these instances are honest and well-intentioned, the motive for a woman telling me I'm pretty is quite different from the motive for a man to say the same thing (For the sake of ease, as I'm heterosexual, I'm going to make a big assumption and say everyone telling/not telling me I'm pretty is also).

The only man who has ever told me I'm pretty is my dad, which is wonderful and sweet and John Eldridge-y, but there comes a point when it doesn't count anymore. My friends tell me I'm pretty and they can't understand why I don't get asked out, but I need evidence. Evidence for me being attractive to the opposite sex would require some signs that at least on occasion the opposite sex has been attracted to me.

It's wonderful to have loving friends and family. I'm blessed with some of the best. But just as I fill a part of my friend's hearts that their husbands/boyfriends can't, their men fill a part that I can't. And it's frustrating when they act as if I should be totally fine without romantic love simply because I have so much platonic love. Is it so wrong that I want someone to want to kiss me, in addition to making my friends laugh and feel safe?

idk, maybe I should be ok with it. Feminism and all that.

I'm sick of being told I'm pretty when there is no evidence to back it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment